Folders
Discussion

Getting Participation?

How do you increase the level of participation in your association community? Sometimes we see situations in which there is a fairly active association, but their online community is relatively idle. Do you think that there are some cases in which an online community just won't work for an association? Or are there ways in which you can get members involved?
Terry Coatta
Discussion started by Terry Coatta on 2012/5/23 12:21:49 AM about Member Engagement
Last Modified at 2012/7/6 12:42:26 AM
Filter By     Sort By

Replies

Displaying 1 - 8 of 8
RE: Mobile Browser Access
Besides giving me a target to achieve, you raised my morale :)

My work for the day is done :-)
If it's html, or any web script, I can do that.

Thanks a lot for this. Besides giving me a target to achieve, you raised my morale :)

Bumpsy

My wife told me that one cannot build a generic app for all mobile devices as each different make has its own prgm code.

It's true that "native" apps for each device have to be built essentially independently because each device has it's own unique programming environment. However, it is possible to build HTML 5 based apps that will work across multiple devices. There are a number of tools to help do this and make the result look "just like" a native app. AssociCom will be using one of these toolkits (PhoneGap) to build it's conference application.
My wife told me that one cannot build a generic app for all mobile devices as each different make has its own prgm code.

It's true that "native" apps for each device have to be built essentially independently because each device has it's own unique programming environment. However, it is possible to build HTML 5 based apps that will work across multiple devices. There are a number of tools to help do this and make the result look "just like" a native app. AssociCom will be using one of these toolkits (PhoneGap) to build it's conference application.
As I told Bob, I am still in the stone age when it comes to mobile devices, Twitter, texting, etc, etc.

Once this AGM is over, I am going back to 'school'. My wife, and my infantry cpl son will be teaching me the basics of everything out there. Then I am gone on a well deserved 7 day Ride-About (me on my trike with some biker buds getting lost on the road wilds of Montana and Wyoming). By then I should have thought of a lot of things to ask you guys.

Things were much simpler with pencil and paper, and two cans with a string between them!!!! ;)

CJ

At out Council Working Group at our PPCLI Association AGM 2012, we were just talking about Apps and the need to look at mobile devices.

Just for interest's sake, here are the numbers from the past month for browser acccess to AssociCom sites. As you can see, mobile access is still a very small portion of traffic, so I think there is still some time to figure out the best way to get a good user experience on mobile devices.

1. Windows 79.18%
2. Macintosh 13.07%
3. iPad 2.88%
4. iPhone 1.87%
5. Android 1.58%
6. Linux 0.82%
7. (not set) 0.28%
8. BlackBerry 0.28%
9. Windows Phone 0.03%
At out Council Working Group at our PPCLI Association AGM 2012, we were just talking about Apps and the need to look at mobile devices.

Just for interest's sake, here are the numbers from the past month for browser acccess to AssociCom sites. As you can see, mobile access is still a very small portion of traffic, so I think there is still some time to figure out the best way to get a good user experience on mobile devices.

1. Windows 79.18%
2. Macintosh 13.07%
3. iPad 2.88%
4. iPhone 1.87%
5. Android 1.58%
6. Linux 0.82%
7. (not set) 0.28%
8. BlackBerry 0.28%
9. Windows Phone 0.03%
RE: Getting Participation?
There is no reason that applications to allow members to interact with their colleagues while mobile could not be developed. Really the main difference with the initial standard user interface is screen size. When you have a small screen such as you have on a smart phone you have to focus on the primary use and sometimes simplify the interface.

It's very true that moving to mobile is not just a matter of trying to "shrink" the web site down to fit on a smaller screen. Particularly for phones, you really have to look at what tasks the user wants to accomplish. For example, if you look at a typical page on an AssociCom site, there are usually 30 or more different actions that you could take. To get on to a smaller device you typically need to reduce that to a much smaller number. Similarly, most AssociCom pages have a lot of information on them -- too much to fit onto the screen of a typical smart phone; so you have to start picking and choosing about what to make available.

We chose to get started with an app focused on conferences because it is a little easier to understand (or at least to make educated guesses) as to what people will want to do with the app in that context. And some elements of the app will definitely carry over into any mobile version of AssociCom that we build in the future -- the conferece app is not really a different product from a technology perspective, it's more like a very focused mobile extension of AssociCom.
Mobile is definitely "on the move" - small joke :)

As you noted we are developing mobile access for AssociCom communities with a primary emphasis on use at an association meeting, conference or other event. Link to that discussion is here - http://community.associcom.com/Pages/Discussion/825

There is no reason that applications to allow members to interact with their colleagues while mobile could not be developed. Really the main difference with the initial standard user interface is screen size. When you have a small screen such as you have on a smart phone you have to focus on the primary use and sometimes simplify the interface. Some apps have local storage - most are almost all web access. Then to confuse the issue even further, the tablet devices give a mid size screen and no mouse or keyboard.

My wife got an iPad for Christmas. She transformed from a not very often computer user to spending a great deal of time on it. I figured the initial interest would wear off. Wrong.

User devices will change and our user interfaces will change . . . but the interest of people in staying connected, sharing and discovering will only grow.
At out Council Working Group at our PPCLI Association AGM 2012, we were just talking about Apps and the need to look at mobile devices. My generation of soldiers uses the table top or laptop computer. However, I watch my son's generations of soldiers, and all they use are mobile devices. Soon they will even have sci-fi like, field-hardened arm bracelets for communications, GPS, etc, etc.

When I had finished our four websites (public end, database site, a VPP site and our community site called 'Routine Orders') I knew that although our Association had started to move into the 21st Century, we were only 50% there. The other 50% is now to deal with 'Star Trek'-like mobile devices.

I know very little about such devices (I do own a cell phone, but rarely do I use it as it remains in the boot of my trike...keeps the wife happy in case I break down). I do know from watching my son's generation that Apps are everything.

Conferencing Apps are defintiely a great idea. Better yet though is an App for AssociCom's communities in general;.

I am even looking at Apps for our public site http://ppcliassoc.ca and our VPP site http://vpp.ppcliassoc.ca. Not sure who I talk to out there in the tech world, but my wife is putting me onto a few sources (she's an Oracle DBA). I don't even know what an App consists of, the code used etc.

All this to say, the conferencing App you are developing will be of great interest to me in more ways than one...another steep learning curve:)

Bumpsy

How do you increase the level of participation in your association community? Sometimes we see situations in which there is a fairly active association, but their online community is relatively idle. Do you think that there are some cases in which an online community just won't work for an association? Or are there ways in which you can get members involved?
Displaying 1 - 8 of 8
We support web standards, subscribe to this discussion using RSS