Folders
Discussion

Professional Development Conferences

How can it be used to make the learning experience at conferences more dynamic and extend the conversations.
Tim Knue
Discussion started by Tim Knue on 2012/5/21 9:47:27 PM about Meetings/Conferences/Events
Last Modified at 2012/7/9 3:24:29 AM
Filter By     Sort By

Replies

Displaying 1 - 4 of 4
RE: Professional Development Conferences
You are so right on! What we have done for this August's professional development conference, is to provide and $50 registration rebate to presenters who post their session materials prior to July 20th. Then for those who engage as you have described I am entering their names into a drawing for 3 $100 cash gift cards. The whole idea is to create a pre-function around speakers leading up to the function of the conference, then to follow that with post-function activities to keep the conversations going and to provide a venue for 'just in time' learning through out the year!

Tim - I think those are great ideas to help create an incentive for speakers to participate. Since this is a new idea, at least until it becomes more common practice (which I am sure that it will), I definitely think we'll have to look at all sorts of different ways to try and convince speakers and maybe even attendees to participate in the online aspects of the conference.
You are so right on! What we have done for this August's professional development conference, is to provide and $50 registration rebate to presenters who post their session materials prior to July 20th. Then for those who engage as you have described I am entering their names into a drawing for 3 $100 cash gift cards. The whole idea is to create a pre-function around speakers leading up to the function of the conference, then to follow that with post-function activities to keep the conversations going and to provide a venue for 'just in time' learning through out the year!

How can it be used to make the learning experience at conferences more dynamic and extend the conversations.

If one could actually get conference speakers engaged both pre and post conference in discussions/groups linked to the conference topics, I think that would create a better experience overall. Pre-conference discussion could help the speaker get a better understanding of the attendees at the conference and potentially allow him/her to fine tune the material being presented to match up more closely with their experience. For example, as a speaker, I would love to be able to ask people before the conference what questions they would like to see addressed in my presentation. And I always find that there are interesting topics that come up during my sessions that there isn't time to cover. So again, having an online discussion forum where I could continue the conversation with the people who were at the session would be great.

If one could actually get conference speakers engaged both pre and post conference in discussions/groups linked to the conference topics, I think that would create a better experience overall. Pre-conference discussion could help the speaker get a better understanding of the attendees at the conference and potentially allow him/her to fine tune the material being presented to match up more closely with their experience. For example, as a speaker, I would love to be able to ask people before the conference what questions they would like to see addressed in my presentation. And I always find that there are interesting topics that come up during my sessions that there isn't time to cover. So again, having an online discussion forum where I could continue the conversation with the people who were at the session would be great.
How can this be used to make the learning experience at conferences more dynamic and extend the conversations.

We plan to use this for our summer conference to link folks who attend to create their own communities of practice to start the discussion face to face at the conference and then continue with our community of practice website (AssociCom or Washington ACTE) to engage with each other over the year.

Displaying 1 - 4 of 4
We support web standards, subscribe to this discussion using RSS